BEAT THE BRAIN
Price - Stock No 30
Check your Kit:
- 3 - red LEDs
- 1 - green LED
- 1 - orange LED
- 1m - tinned wire
- 1 - 390R resistor
- 21 - 3mm bolts & nuts
- 1 - battery snap
- 1 - push button switch
- plastic spaghetti
- 1 - crocodile clip
- 1 - battery tamer
- On the plywood (say 150 X 100mm) set out the
positions for the bolts, the LEDs, and the P/B switch. Drill a 2mm hole for the battery tamer screw, 3mm
holes for the bolts, 5mm holes for the LED's and a 7mm hole for the switch.
- Note in the diagrams that the K legs of the LED's are to be soldered togeather. The LED's are polarised and care should be taken to have the correct colours in the correct location and with the correct orientation. Glue in place.
Tighten the switch into place.
- Bend the K legs of the LEDs to touch each other and solder as
the diagram shows. Use some tinned copper wire (tcw) to connect to the switch.
- Join bolt 21 to the A leg of the green LED, and
bolt 20 to the A leg of the orange LED. If needed, tinned wire may be used to lengthen the A legs.
- Join the K legs of the green and orange LED's togeather and solder to the free terminal of the switch, using tcw if needed.
- Insert the 21x 3mm bolts and loosely fit the nuts.
the diagram to connect each of the red LED's to their set of bolts. Start with led #3, solder the length of tcw to the A leg of LED3. Connect the tcw to bolt 17 by looping the wire and tightening the nut and bolt, do the some with bolts 13, 1 and 5. Cut the excess tcw. To complete the circuit for LED #3 use the tcw and connect pin 9 to pin 13.
- Use the process as before for LED #2, connecting the A leg with bolts 18, 10, 6, 2 using tcw. The shrinktube is to be used to insulate where the tcw crosses that laid down in step 7. Completeing the circuit by connecting bolt 14 to 18 with tcw.
- Similarly for LED #1, connecting the A leg to Bolts 19, 11, 12, 15, 16, 8 and 7 using the shrinktube when necessisary.
- Drill a small hole (D 1.5mm) and feed the black wire of the battery
snap through the plywood. Solder the 390R resistor to the
black lead and the other leg to the pole of the switch.
- Solder the croc. clip to the RED wire of the battery snap.
- Use the screw to attach the metal battery holder.
- Mark the numbers against the red LEDs, and mark THE BRAIN WINS(orange LED), and PERSON
WINS (green LED).
- Connect a 9V battery and you're
ready to play.
THE RULES OF PLAY:
Your objective is to land on bolt 21, The Brain's objective is to land on bolt 20.
Start with the clip connected to bolt 1.
Flip a coin to decide who starts. If you start choose 1,2 or 3 steps to take.- and move the clip. If The Brain starts, ask what the brain chooses by pressing the switch. The red LED next to The Brain's choice will light up then move the clip.
Proceed in alternating turns until there is a winner.
DON'T UNDER-ESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE
There is a reason why The Brain wins - every
Question: Can we change the players objectives to produce a fairer and winnable game?
Answer: Yes, if both The Brain and the player are aiming to land on bolt 20 - and the winner being decided by the player who makes the move to land on bolt 20.
Contact CdS electronics